McDowall Memorial Presbyterian Church

8031 Hwy 33

South Fredericksburgh Township

 

In 1834, a frame church was built by the early Presbyterian families.  It was a plain building 30 x 40 feet.

In those early years, timber and lumber were more available than money. John Murdock, with his oxen, drew the lumber for much of the work. His son, Nicholas Murdock, exchanged a fat steer for the right lumber and, as a skilled carpenter, he was able to build the pulpit, which remained in the church.

In 1887 the church was renovated, the tower on the front rising 60 feet. 

The building was bricked and eight memorial windows, made of cathedral glass, installed. 

On September 13, 1921 the church was destroyed by fire.

 

 

McDowall Church

An early photo of the McDowall Presbyterian Church

 

 

Notice Published October 25, 1822

 

“At a meeting of the Presbyterian congregation, held at Fredericksburgh on the fifth instant, to take into consideration the propriety of building a church; Timothy Thomson, Esquire being called to the chair, and Mr. John McDowall chosen clerk, it was unanimously resolved; -

 

     1st -  That a church should be built in or near the Village of Fredericksburgh, and that Messrs. John VanDyck, Henry Lasher and Dr. Moore be the committee, to contract with proper persons to erect the same in a workmanship-like manner, to solicit subscriptions for the aforesaid purpose, or to authorize proper persons so to do and to call a meeting of the subscribers, eleven of whom shall compose a quorum.

 

     2nd - That Mr. Arent VanDyck be treasurer and Mr. John McDowall secretary, who at the desire of the treasurer, shall notify the subscribers to pay in the amount of their several subscriptions.

 

     3rd - That all monies coming into the hands of those appointed to solicit subscriptions be forthwith transmitted to the treasurer, who shall keep a just account thereof.

 

     4th   -  That the resolutions of this meeting be inserted once in the Upper Canada Herald and Kingston Chronicle.

 

     On the motion of Dr. Moore, seconded by Mr. a. VanDyck, the thanks of the meeting were given to Colonel Thomson for his able conduct in the chair.

 

1860 Map McDowall

1860 Wallings Map showing location of McDowall Church

 

 

1878 Map McDowall

1878 map from Meacham’s Atlas showing location of McDowall Church

 

 

 

Restoration of a Church

A Committee Bringing the Matter Before the Presbyterians of This Section

May 12, 1886  Daily British Whig

 

At the late meeting of Synod, held in Galt, there was presented an overture from the Presbytery of Kingston in reference to the old United Empire Loyalist Presbyterian church, Fredericksburgh. The overture set forth that the Rev. Robert McDowall came to Canada in the year 1798, in response to a petition sent to the Classis of Albany by the band of United Empire Loyalists who landed in Adolphustown under Major VanAlstine in 1784; that he, Mr. McDowall, had itinerated from Brockville to the head of lake Ontario when that vast region was almost one unbroken wilderness; that his old church is now in a dilapidated condition; that it was proposed to restore it, making it again suitable to be used as a place of worship and to erect a tablet near the pulpit commemorative of the life and labors of the pioneer missionary; that a small sum from each family within the bounds of the synod, which really constituted his parish in so far as the country was then settled, would be sufficient to accomplish the work. A committee to co-operated with the Kingston Presbytery was appointed. At a meeting of the committee, it was decided that a circular be prepared and sent to each minister within the bounds, setting forth the points of interest in connection with the scheme and that the representatives of the several Presbyteries be instructed to bring the matter before their Presbyteries as soon as practicable, in order to develop as much interest as possible in the matter. The Rev. M. Cumberland, of Stella, Amherst Island, was appointed treasurer. It is understood that about $300 have been already subscribed and that it is the intention of the committee to set vigorously to work and have the repairs completed in order that the church may be re-opened in September. About $900 more will be required.

 

 

 

 

The Gifts of Windows

Memorials Found in the McDowall church Opened at Fredericksburgh

December 3, 1887 British Whig

 

The tower rises to the height of sixty feet and is surrounded by battlements and turrets. The pulpit is the same that was in the old church and from which the pioneer missionary McDowall so long and so faithfully preached the gospel. His old bible lies upon it and was used at the opening. The windows are 7 x 2 feet, with semicircular tops and are of cathedral glass. They are divided into three panels each, in the upper one of which there is a beautiful scroll set in a background of blue and bearing appropriate texts.

 

The first window on the west is the gift of R. Sloan, a son of one of the original trustees and bears the motto, “One Soweth, and Another Reapeth.”

The next is by J.D. Murphy, San Diego, Cal., in memory of deceased relatives; motto, “I am the Resurrection and Life.”

Next is by St. Paul’s church, Hamilton; motto, “Our Fathers Trusted in Thee.”

The next is by the McDowall brothers, grandsons of the missionary; motto, “His Righteousness is Unto His Children’s Children.”

 

On the east, the first is by Rev. Dr. Mowat, Kingston; motto, “Blessed is the Memory of the Just.” This window stands near the memorial tablet.

The next one is by Hon. Oliver Mowat; motto, “Righteousness Exalteth a Nation.”

The next is by Rev. J. Cumberland; motto, “Holiness Unto the Lord,” and

The next and last is by Sir John and Miss Macdonald. They were designed and made by Mr. H. Harwood, of Prescott.

 

The tablet, which is a heavy brass plate, set in an ebony frame, bears the following device: A St. Andrew’s cross surmounted by the Burning Bush and bearing the motto, Nec Tamen Consumebatur.  It also bears the following inscription; In Memoriam, Rev. Robert McDowall, ordained by the Dutch Reformed church at Albany, came to Upper Canada, 1798, to minister to the U.E. Loyalists. As pioneer missionary his labours were of pre-eminent importance in establishing the church in this province. He was elected first moderator of the synod of Canada in 1820. He was founder of Queen’s university. He organized this congregation in 1800 and remained it faithful pastor till his death, August 3rd, 1841. “ His remains are interred in the cemetery nearby.

 

 

 

The Presbyterian Celebration

July 6, 1898

 

“It is safe to say that today’s Presbyterian centennial celebration at McDowall Memorial church here was, all things considered, the most successful Presbyterian gathering ever held in the township of South Fredericksburgh, if not in the county of Lennox. The celebration was in commemoration of the hundredth year since the Rev. Robert McDowall arrived. He was the first Presbyterian missionary ever sent to Upper Canada to minister to the U.E. Loyalists. He was regularly sent by the Reform Dutch Presbyterian synod of Albany in 1798 and remained a faithful worker for his Divine Master in this and the surrounding counties until his death which occurred in 1841. His remains were buried in the church yard in connection with the church here, which he was instrumental in building many years ago.

The day was exceedingly fine, the attendance was large and everything in connection with the day’s proceedings passed off pleasantly and successfully.

A memorial service was first held in the church at eleven o’clock. The church was crowded to its utmost capacity and many could not gain admittance at all. The Napanee Presbyterian choir was present and added much to the interest and success of the service. After dinner it was arranged that J.S. Hulett, the well-known Napanee photographer, would take a photographic group, with Sir Oliver Mowat and leading ministers and laymen in the centre and the memorial church in the background.

It had been arranged to have a mass meeting in the afternoon. To accommodate all – for the church was much too small – a fine platform had been erected on the grounds with seats in the commodious sheds where all were comfortably accommodated.  The Napanee brass band was on hand and gave some excellent selections throughout the day.

Rev. J. Cumberland spoke of the scheme of establishing a McDowall memorial scholarship in Queen’s and stated that $2,000 would be needed for that purpose.

Mr. McDowall, in 1800, accepted a call from the congregations of Adolphustown, Ernesttown and Fredericksburgh on the Bay of Quinte. At the time of his settlement there were only three Churches of England, six Methodist, two Baptist and four Presbyterian ministers in Upper Canada. After his settlement, Mr. McDowall did not confine his labors to the township on the Bay of Quinte. He extended his labors from Elizabethtown on the east to several miles west of where the city Toronto now stands. He was for years the only Presbyterian minister in this extensive region, through which his journeying were very fatiguing and often perilous. He had to travel through almost unbroken forests, and to cross unbridged rivers. He had generally to preach and lodge in small log cabins.”

 

Daily Whig July 9 1898

“The church was not built until about 1835, through the instrumentality of Mr. McDowall and it was the church near his own home, in which his family worshipped and in whose grounds he and the most of the members of his family have their last resting place. The original church is still standing and in a good state of preservation.  Some years ago, it became somewhat dilapidated and in 1887, funds were raised for its thorough renovation.

It was then the tower was added to the front as it now stands, the old building was veneered with brick and the present very handsome memorial windows were put in. It has now such a comfortable and substantial appearance  that it bids fair to be the place for worship for generation yet to come.”

 

 

 

 

 

Photo taken by J.S. Hulett July 6, 1898

 

July 11 1898 Weekly British Whig

 

 

The Pulpit and Memorial Tablet in McDowall Church

Photo taken in 1898 by J.S. Hulett, Napanee

 

 

1905 Mar 17 NB McDowall Church Bell

March 17 1905 Napanee Beaver

 

The Bell and the Sign are now enclosed in the

monument in the cemetery.

 

View from the West

ca1920

McDowall Church is on the left, St. Paul’s Church in the centre, and St. Paul’s Hall on the right.

The ‘new’ road (Highway 33) wasn’t put in until the 1930s.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Fire Destroys the Church

September 13, 1921

On September 13, 1921, while redecorating the church, a worker left a cigar burning on a window sill, resulting in a fire which destroyed the building.

 

Rather than rebuilding, the remaining congregation joined with the Conway Methodist (later United) Church.

 

At a meeting in November of 1921, it was decided that the $1540 in insurance money should be invested, and the interest used for perpetual care of the McDowall Memorial Cemetery. 

The tower, with its battlements was restored as a monument and a vault door installed in front.

In 1991, the monument was restored.

The cemetery is still active today.

 

 

1921 Dec 22 Weekly Ontario McDowall Cemetery

December 22 1921  Weekly Ontario

 

 

The Cemetery

1989

 

 

Monument Original ed

 

Monument

The Monument

In 1991, the monument, beginning to crumble from age, was repaired.

The old church bell from 1904 and the original memorial plaque were discovered in a neighbouring

barn and were installed inside. The original white marble tablet was still intact and remains today.

 

 

McDowall2009

The Cemetery

2009

 

 

 

McDowall Family Stones in the Cemetery

Further Information

Church Centenary

The McDowall Memorial Cemetery

A Pioneer Canadian Missionary

 

 

 

 

 

 

HOME 1