The Beaver has already contained
some rough notes of some of the early families of Adolphustown, north of Hay
Bay, who were among the U.E. Loyalist pioneers of that township, and whose
last resting place is in the old burying ground of that locality. It was then
intimated that some mention would also be made of some of the leading early
families who were among the pioneers in the first settlement of that part of
Next farm east of the
Bogart's homestead of which mention was previously made in these columns came
Bernard Cole. His grave and that of his wife Isabella are both marked in this
historic God's acre. The burying ground lies on one half of his farm - now
owned by Mr. James McMorins, and the west half of
the Bogart homestead.
Bernard, or Barnot, Cole, was a son of Daniel Cole, who occupied the
first lot in the first concession of Adolphustown. The family came from Long
Island and were among the original U.E. refugees who left New York in the
fall of 1783 on their long seacoast journey to Upper Canada, spending the
winter with the others at Sorel below Montreal, where, it is said, two
members of the Cole family died of smallpox. When they landed at Adolphustown
in June of 1784, the surveyors had not yet completed the work of surveying
out the lots and all had to remain in their canvass tents until this was
done, so that each lot could be fairly given out to the respective families.
Daniel Cole had a much
larger family than any of the others and they all agreed to allow him at once
to take lot 1, in consideration of his family which still numbered eleven in
1794, and they all turned in and helped him do a little clearing and put up a
log shanty, while they were thus waiting. The shanty was covered with long
marsh hay, or rushes, which, it is said kept out the rain and the cold very
well. He is put down in the Government official record as a "Soldier of
the Orange Rangers." He lies buried, we believe, in the old U.E.L.
burying ground at the front of Adolphustown.
Bernard was one of
Daniel's sons and was a young man of about 23 years of age when the refugees
first landed in this country. He settled north of Hay Bay and lived and died
on the farm there, where he reared a large family. It was from his farm and
in his boat that the ill-fated party started on the Sunday morning in June
1819 for the Adolphustown church, just opposite, ten of whom were drowned.
Himself and his wife and one son, Conrad, were among the survivors of that
party. One daughter, Jane, a young woman, just then engaged to be married,
was among the drowned.
Bernard, according to the
inscription on his headstone, died October 5th, 1854, aged 90 years. His
father, Daniel lived to be 105 years. A brother, John, who lived in Ameliasburgh, was 94 years old at the time of his death.
His son, Conrad, if I remember right died in N. Fredericksburgh at past 90
years. Other members of the family also attained great ages. Bernard had a
distinct remembrance of Kingston as it was when he first saw it in 1784.
"Old Mother Cook, then kept a tavern in the village; it was a low flat
shanty with two rooms. There were but four or five houses altogether in the
place." And that was then the largest settlement and made most
pretentions to a village of any in all this Province!
The second farm east of
Cole's lot on 19, was first occupied by Lieut. Archibald Campbell. He was one
of the prominent men among the early settlers, and in 1795 he was Town Clerk
of the Township of Adolphustown, according to the old record. A daughter of
his, Jennet, married Elisha Miller, a leading citizen of Prince Edward county
in 1792. They were the parents of the Rev. Gilbert Miller, for years a
prominent Methodist preacher in this part of Canada, who died at Picton years
ago. There are yet numerous descendents of that family in Prince Edward, one
of whom, the late E. Miller, represented the county for years in the House of
Commons. Another daughter, Elizabeth, married Hilderbrand
Valleau, of Prince Edward in 1800 and there are yet
numerous descendants of theirs residing in that county. Mr. Valleau, now collector of customs at Deseronto, is a
grandson of that pair. We understand that Mr. Campbell spent his last days
with that daughter and lies buried in the old Conger Methodist church burying
ground, near Picton. He and his son-in-law, Elias Miller, lie buried side by
side, and nearby lies also H. Valleau, and other
members of both these families.
There were three
generations of Archibald Campbells resident in
succession on the same farm in Adolphustown - the farm now owned by our
townsman, Mr. John Soby - and they were all
influential men in their day. Archibald second died July 5 1851, aged 83
years, and his wife, Catharine Herrington, lies buried by his side. They
reared a large family, who became well-known residents, and numbers of their
descendants still reside in this vicinity. Among the children yet well
remembered by our older inhabitants, but all of whom are gone now, were
Alexander Campbell, J.P. of Napanee, of whom mention has been several time
made in these columns; John Campbell, of Tyendinaga,
where Marysville station now is, where his son still resides; Archibald of
Adolphustown; Mrs. Henry Davis, of Adolphustown, whose descendents are yet
numerous in this county; Mrs. John Bogert, also of
Adolphustown who has also numerous descendents in this vicinity, and the late
Mrs. Catharine McHenry, also of Napanee, the mother of Miss McHenry, of
Archibald Campbell, third, was born
and died in Adolphustown and a monument has recently been erected there in
the memory of him and Mary Valleau, his wife. He
was the first representative elected to represent the township in the old
Midland District Council. That was at the town meeting held in January 1842.
For years after, when the Township Councils were established, he was
repeatedly elected a member of it and was several times represented it in the
Counties Council then held in Kingston. He was an officer in the Militia, and
a Methodist class leader at the time of his death, which occurred in
December, 1861, aged 55 years. He was a man held in high esteem by all who
knew him. There is not one of the Campbell name now resident in that
township, though the descendants are yet quite numerous.
, like the Campbell's who were their next door neighbors, were at one time a
pretty large and influential family, and they have also now swindled down in
numbers until there is but barely one of the name left remaining in the
township. Lieut. John Huyck, the head of this once numerous family, was an
officer in the King's army during the war of the American Revolution and was
granted lot 18 in the fourth concession, and also lot 18 butting on that in
the fifth concession. On both these farms some of his descendents are still
living. On the Hay Bay shore he erected a very commodious stone dwelling
house, which in its day, must have been an unusually fine residence and which
is yet standing and yet occupied. It is now, I believe, the oldest dwelling
house in the township, if not in the county, and was built in the nineties of
the eighteenth century. In the records of the very first town meeting held in
Adolphustown, in March 1793 - and it was probably the first one of the kind
ever held in the Province - his name appears as one of the officials elected,
and it also regularly appears for years after. He was a man of pretty
extensive business for those times, and was among the very first along the
Bay to go into the square timber business, sending the products to the Quebec
market. For years that was an important and very venturesome business. The
township and its immediate surroundings contained very large white oak and
rock elm trees, from which were manufactured and rafted very large sticks of
square timber and which were rafted to Quebec, and then many of them exported
to England for ship building. His sons, Burger, Edward and John, lived and
died on the farms he first occupied, and they, too, have their last resting
place in the same burying ground. A daughter, Jane, was the wife of Col.
Samuel Dorland, and the descendants of all these have ever since been among
the well known residents of the township, as well as very considerable numbers
in Prince Edward and the other counties. The family home previous to the
migration to Canada was in New York state.
Among the descendants of
the original John Huyck in this county may be named Edward Huyck, now an old
man in Newburgh; Peter, a well known Richmond farmer; Burger, of the fifth
concession of Adolphustown; Mrs. S. Hawley and children Gilson and Mrs.
Randall, of Hay Bay, Mr. Redford Dorland, Township Clerk of Adolphustown;
Mrs. Wilmot Hawley, also of Adolphustown; the sons and daughters of the late Irvine
Clapp, also of Adolphustown; Mrs. W. N. Doller,
Mrs. James McKay, and Mrs. John Clark, N. Fredericksburgh, and it may be,
many others, with whose names the writer may not be familiar.
Several others of the well
known pioneers of that portion of Adolphustown, who also lie buried there,
have not been named for lack of space, but may be at a future time.