By Ruth Wright
published in 1999
This indexed book would be a valuable resource for anyone doing genealogical research pertaining to the original settlers of the third township, Fredericksburgh. A century later this township was divided into North and South, with no changes effected as to lots or concessions.
The "Front" or Front road was the description used in earliest days to identify the land area of Fredericksburgh bordering on the Bay of Quinte.
In laminated soft cover, this 164 page book includes two fold- in maps, lot by lot, of the Original and Additional Lots of Concession 1 Fredericksburgh.
The "Front" presents the pioneer story of the Third Township.
It covers the 15 kilometres of waterfront along the Bay of Quinte
(a section of the present Loyalist Parkway)
and a map of the old Fredericksburgh village, now forming a part of Sandhurst.
Many of the original settlers (or their families) went on to Prince Edward County,
Amherst Island, or to the more northerly townships as they became available for settlement.
A few returned to the U.S.A
The "Front" also covers the local response to, and effect of, several invasions by Americans.
Loyalist farming practises are delineated by sketches.
The first trading post; education and first schools;
itinerant missionaries, the first churches;
a flourishing commerce on the waterfront;
all are stories told by pictures and by memories of a past generation
encompassing the hamlets of Conway and Sandhurst.
Map 1 provides the names of the settlers who obtained the first land grants of these
39 lots under the Quebec Plan of 1784.
Map 2 indicates the name of the land owners who registered the first Deeds Patent
on the same lots, along with the date of issue of the patent.