Reference was made in THE BEAVER last week to the directory of Mitchell & Co., of this county, published in 1865. Some of the information about the early settlement of the various localities, as well as of the men who were most prominent nearly sixty years ago, we will here give, as some of the facts may be of considerable information to many. they will be given in the rotation in which they occur in the book.
The following mention is made of the village itself and its immediate locality, which was really more populous in the sixties of the last century than it is today. It is said, "The locality was first settled in 1780 by Joseph Allen, Thomas Dorland, and Capt. Paul Trumpour, U.E. Loyalists."
The exact date of the landing of these and some score or more of other Loyalists, was, as we have before mentioned, on the 16th of June, 1784.
Joseph Allen's farm was near the village, now owned by his granddaughter, Mrs. Minnie Watson Duffett, and Parker Allen, now the oldest man in the township. The land has been held by some members of the family ever since. Thomas Dorland lived about two miles west, where his son, the late Major Peter V. Dorland, afterwards lived and died. The farm is now owned by David W. Allison, J.P., we believe. Capt. Paul Trumpour settled in the third concession of the township, on the shore of Hay Bay, and the farm has been continuously in possession of some descendants of his family ever since. The Trumpours are now the most numerous of any of the descendants of the original Loyalists left in the township today.
There seems to be the same mistake in regard to the original survey, of three or four years. The report given in the directory states that, "the village plot was first surveyed for the government by Surveyor-General Holland, in 1800. Subsequently a new survey was made by Publius V. Elmore, about the years 1825. A post office was first established in 1816, the first official being Jas. Watson; the present postmaster is J.J. Watson."
Mr. Elmore, here referred to, was for years a well-known citizen of Picton and a land surveyor. He published the first map of the county we have any knowledge of, a few copies of which are still in existence. He also published a map of Prince Edward County. James Watson came to Adolphustown at an early date and married Miss Allen. He was a man of education, and was for years the township clerk. John Joseph Watson was his son, and is yet well remembered by many. At his death Mr. Frank Chalmers was appointed postmaster in his stead, and he still holds that office.
The Rev. R. Harding was the Church of England rector in 1865. He died years ago, and was buried in the churchyard there with several members of his family. Rev. John Wesley German was then the Wesleyan minister living in Bath. He is now a superannuated old minister residing at Berlin, Ont.
Only nine names are given in the directory, and but one of that number is now living - Mr. A.W. Pool, who though now an old man, is still an excellent farmer. The others are Capt. James Chalmers, then proprietor of the schooner Alma; James Hart, wagon-maker (at the "Elbow"); Samuel Johnson, shoemaker; Giles Membery, farmer; Charles Penner, J.P., farmer; N. Simmons, blacksmith; J.J. Watson, general merchant and postmaster.
Bath is referred to in the directory as an incorporated village, in the Township of Ernesttown. "It was once a customs port of entry, but now an outport of Kingston. The village was first settled in 1783 (1784), and among the first settlers were a Mr. Davy, a native of Holland, and progenitor of the family of the same name, resident in the vicinity of Bath and Napanee; James Johnston, a native of Ireland; Ebenezer Washburn, government commissariat at that time; Matthias Rose, Henry Finkle, Mr. Fairfield, John Shibley, Robert Williams and John George.
John Johnston was the first white child born on the Bay of Quinte; he was the fourth son of James Johnston. Henry Finkle built the first brewery in Upper Canada; he also built the first hotel, in 1786; and a school house, with teacher's residence attached, on the Finkle farm (a mile or two west of Bath village).
In 1816 the first steamboat that navigated the waters of lake Ontario was built by Henry Teabout, for the merchants of Kingston, Toronto - then York - Niagara and Queenston, and was called the "Frontenac." The boat was built on what is now known as "Finkle's Point," within the present corporate limits of the Village of Bath.
"The Queen Charlotte," another vessel, was built here in 1818, by Henry Gildersleeve, father of the late Mayor of Kingston, and was employed in the St. Lawrence and Bay of Quinte trade, between Carrying Place and Prescott.
The first civil court held in Upper Canada was held at the tavern of Henry Finkle, in 1787 - a public house not being large enough in Kingston - and the first criminal case was that of a negro convicted of stealing a loaf of bread, for which he received thirty-nine lashes. The basswood tree to which he was tied is still standing (in 1865) near the old house.
Of the churches of Bath, the directory gives the following information; - "The Church of England was erected in 1798 and is the oldest church but one in Upper Canada, Rev. W.F.S. Harper, incumbent. The Wesleyan Methodist church was erected in 1850, Rev. J.W. German minister. The Canada Presbyterians have a frame edifice, erected in 1859, Rev. John Scott, minister.
"There is a well attended union school, established in 1811 as an academy, but now united as a grammar and common school; the building cost about $3,000. Mr. Milligan, principal of the grammar school, and Mr. Stephen Robinson, teacher of the common school. The schools are under the superintendence of Dr. Kennedy." Principal Milligan here referred to is now the popular Rev. Dr. Milligan of St. Andrew's Church, Toronto, we believe, who occasionally preaches in Napanee. Dr. r. Kennedy is now one of the oldest physicians living in the province.
Of the Bath officials in 1865, the following list is given; Clerk of Division Court, John D. Noble; Councillors, Thos. Armstrong, Reeve; Wm. F. Peterson, Arnold G. Amey, Gabriel Belfour, Peter R. Davy; John S. Barker, clerk. Mr. Peterson is now a resident of Chicago, and Mr. Barker of Picton. Among the prominent residents at that time whose names are given are Dr. Thomas Aishton; Henry and Thomas Armstrong and Gabriel Belfour, carriage builders; David J. Campbell, general merchant; John S. Cooper, dentist and druggist; Wm. H. Davy, merchant and mill owner; Wm. J. Fairfield, postmaster; Edmund and George Ferrin, hotel keepers; R.R. Finkle, general merchant; David T. Forward, foundry; James Foster, tanner; Mrs. Rebecca Ham, Mrs. Orton Hancock; T.S. Howard, merchant; John J. Johnston, harness maker; Robert Johnston, potash maker; John Lasher, J.P., merchant; Daniel McBride, grocer and liquors; Edmond McKenty, merchant; Robert Mott, harness maker; Leonard Pearson, mason; Elias Price, J.P., farmer; Ezra D. Priest, J.P., carriage maker; Rev. Mr. Reeves, Presbyterian minister; Samuel Rogers, Charles Rogers, Hudson Rogers, merchants; John G. McT. Ross, druggist; John S. Rowse, merchant; David and Robert Sharp, tailors; William Shibley, harness maker; Dr. R.D. Sutherland; Duncan Wemp, hotel; Edward Wright, merchant; Dr. Daniel Young. These names were once very familiar to all who knew much of Bath years ago, but most of these men have now passed over to the great majority.
Then pretty well known as "Clark's Mills". It is here said of it: "The place was first settled about 1830; and the post office established in 1836. There are two flouring mills, viz., that of Samuel Clark, erected about 1840, of stone; a woolen mill and saw mill owned by the same party, are nearby. About half a mile east of Clark's Mills are situated Addington mills, down the same river. These mills were established in 1850 by George Empey, but now owned and carried on by Gilbert C. Bogart. Three run of stones are used, manufacturing about 60 barrels of flour a day. Hooper's saw mill was established in 1840 by Augustus F. Hooper, ex-M.P.P. It contains two gang of saws, one upright and five circulars. Three million feet of lumber are turned out from this mill a year." The Empey and Hooper mills have now given place to the Thomson paper mills and the electric power house respectively.
Newburgh was a larger village in 1865 than it is today. Of it the directory's statement is: "The village was first settled in 1822 by Benjamin Files and Wm. V.P. Detlor. In 1824 David Perry built the first saw mill. John Madden settled here in 1825 and built a saw mill the same year. Mr. Perry, in 1826, erected a grist mill, which in 1828 he sold to Samuel Shaw, the first merchant of the village. John Black started a tannery in 1832 which he still carries on, employing six men, and turning out 2,500 pieces of leather per year." That tannery is now conducted by Mr. J.W. Courtney.
"The Union Flouring and Grist Mills were established in 1840 by Douglass Hooper, and contain three run of stones and one barley stone. The oatmeal mill, adjoining, is a similar stone building, erected in 1861 and contains two run of stones. Both mills and machinery cost the proprietor about $20,000. The Newburgh mills were established in 1831 by John Madden. There are two carding mills, one saw mill, two axe factories, one having been in operation over twenty years and now conducted by S.M. Hanes, who gives employment to six hands; the other by Joseph Taylor, and was established in 1862, where four men are employed. These factories turn out all kinds of edged tools as well as axes."
"Newburgh Foundry and Machine shop was established in 1848. Six men are kept constantly employed by D.B. Stickney."
"Newburgh possesses a large and elegant academy, where the higher branches of an English and classical education are taught. The common school, in the same building, is under charge of H.M. Deroche; the grammar school is under charge of John Campbell, B.A." Both these gentlemen in turn became Principals of the Napanee High School. Mr. Campbell is now superannuated and is located in Toronto. H.M. Deroche, now K.C., is our County Attorney and clerk of the Peace.
The ministers in Newburgh then were Rev. John May, Church of England; Rev. Mr. Snider, E. Methodist; Rev. George McRitchie and Davidson McDonald, Wesleyan. The latter is now the well known Rev. Dr. McDonald, for years past a prominent Methodist missionary in Japan.